[Xastir] .tfw to .fdg conversion??

Kirk Mefford kc2elo at softhome.net
Fri May 23 11:57:57 EDT 2003

At 10:54 AM 5/23/2003, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
>On Fri, 23 May 2003, Kirk Mefford wrote:
>
> > I've found it somewhat difficult to get the calculation just right to make
> > the map line up with other maps though.  That's why I asked if there was an
> > easy way to extract or decode the data from the worldfile data format
> > either automatically or manually.  The worldfile data I have to the image
> > in question is for the upper left and lower right pixel but I can't seem to
> > understand how to pull a lat/lon from the worldfile data.
>
>If we had the format for that file and it had the data of interest
>in it, we could make a Perl script that would auto-convert for you
>quite easily.
>I just haven't messed with those files.
>Looks like you have to know what units and projection the numbers
>are in.  It doesn't include that information in the file itself.

Well I did some more searching and found a program that does something
similar called drg2gtm.
It requires the UTM number and projection format on the command line.  It
sort of does what I was looking for but still makes the wrong formatted
file.  The good news is it displayed the information I was looking for on
screen so I was able to make an appropriate .geo file from the information
displayed.

It isn't the smoothest way to get a map but I got the image I was playing
with to work so I guess I'm happy with the results.