[Xastir] cvs issue(with OSX)

N1OFZ n1ofz at arrl.net
Tue May 27 20:47:29 EDT 2003

I'm happy to give it a shot but there are a couple of things that need
to be decided:

- Are we going to assume/suggest that OSX users use Apple's X11 distro
with Fink?
- If so then then we should assume the default install installation
will be in /sw

The problem (for non OSX users) is that we have about 4 different
XFree86 implementations available for OSX.  The Fink group has also
written a really nice package manager (based on dpkg) that works with
all of them.  However due to a number of issues the Fink group installs
all it's software in /sw.  The reasons are as follows (from Fink):

Reason One: Third-party software. /usr/local is the well-established
place to put software that is not part of the system shipped by the
original vendor. This means that it is a good place to put stuff.
However, it also means that other people will put stuff there, too.
Most install routines will just overwrite what's there - this also
applies to dpkg. One can, of course, choose not to install third-party
software in /usr/local. Unfortunately, most installers don't tell you
beforehand what they will install where.

Reason Two: /usr/local/bin is in the default PATH. This means that your
shell will find the install programs without additional measures. But
it also means that you do have to take additional measures if you do
not want to use the programs. In extreme cases, this can also affect
the system itself - many parts depend on shell scripts.

Reason Three: The compiler tool chain searches /usr/local by default.
The compiler searches /usr/local/include for header files and the
linker searches /usr/local/lib for libraries. Again, this is sometimes
a welcome convenience, but it's very hard to disable should the need
arise. You can easily disable the compiler by putting a garbage file
called stdio.h into /usr/local/include.

Reasons 2 & 3 are exactly why I wanted to have something added to the
docs.  The problem I see is that there may be OSX users who don't use
Fink.

OSX users, questions, comments?