[Xastir] WX stations

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed May 28 12:22:40 EDT 2003

On 27 May 2003, Chris Hare wrote:

> okay - I disabled the raster maps and now the radar images so up, but
> 1.  they have the text "Radar image from ....." and the DBZ scale on
> them.  they also overlap badly, so it is hard to read them.  how do I
> fix this?
>
> 2. what maps do i lose access to by doing this?
>
> 3.  are the weather alerts county maps still loaded?
>
> 4.  how do i get the city detail loaded as well? (or can I?)

You're learning fast!  Fun, isn't it?

1)  You can't fix that.  Yet.  Chris Bell, one of our developers,
has a change in the works to do some really neato-cool things with
these images, that I'd rather not mention yet (don't want to steal
his thunder, as they're _his_ way cool changes, not mine).  We can't
put his changes in until after the stable release, but I've seen
them, and I _want_ them!

2) None.  What you need to do is pick some map layers for your
different types of maps.  If you assign the radar maps a high layer,
they'll get drawn on top of other maps.

Perhaps you can do something like this:

-10,000: Raster base maps
- 9,000: Raster overlay maps
- 5,000: Weather radar
  1,000: World vector polygons (choose filled?)
  2,000: State vector polygons (choose filled?)
  3,000: County vector polygons (choose filled?)
  5,000: Water vector polygons
  5,000: River/stream vector polylines
 10,000: Vector roads

You get the picture.

I haven't personally used negative numbers, but according to the
docs, they work.

If you want roads over the weather radar, you can do it as above.
If you want the weather radar on top, change the map layering.
Layering, filled/unfilled, and automaps on/off for each map are
accessed from the Properties tab on the Map Chooser.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin