[Xastir] maps

Curt Mills, WE7U hackber at tc.fluke.com
Tue May 27 15:58:05 EDT 2003

On 24 May 2003, Chris Hare wrote:

> Well, it can take minutes i.e. 2 or 3 with each pan or zoom action, with
> only the maps for texas loaded.

At what zoom level?  The Tiger map data is very detailed
street-level data.  You don't want to enable all of that when you're
looking a more than a few county's worth of area.

Instead, use the county map from the NOAA alerts (it's useful for
more than just weather alerts), and then perhaps load the
interstates or major roads shapefile from NOAA.  I also sometimes
use a state GNIS file as well so that I get cities labeled.

If you organize the types and levels of maps in a suitable heirarchy
of map directories, you can select the directory of choice in the
map chooser and it will select all maps below it.  That's a quick
way of switching between different sorts of maps.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin