[Xastir] more map stuff

Jim Shorney jshorney at inebraska.com
Fri May 30 20:57:33 EDT 2003

WARNING: Unsanitized content follows.

On Fri, 30 May 2003 09:32:15 -0700 (PDT), Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:

>I'd be happy to work on this after the stable release comes out.  I
>can start up another X-server in 8-bit mode while I'm running one in
>16-bit or higher mode, so it's not a big deal to test like that.
>
>Remind me about this later and I'll see what Linux X-server in 8-bit
>mode thinks of the current code.  Perhaps a few tweaks here and
>there and/or some better doc entries on the matter could help the
>next guy to come along.

I'll try to remember to remind you...

>It could be memory handling, it could be a poor video driver, it
>could be interaction between video hardware and some other hardware
>w.r.t. DMA/addresses/interrupts.

I would believe poor video driver, the only ones I can use with this
hardware are the AGX and SVGA drivers.  Still, both drivers do the same
thing whenused with different cards, so I dunno...

>> OK, I'll stop now and go ponder the implications of Linux on a
>> PC300xl....
>
>You know you can get a bare-bones Athlon box for around $100, right?
>That's where I'm going next for my home system.

Well, you know, I got a 'barebones' IBM PC300xl at auction (not ePay, a
real auction) for less than 10 bucks, and it will probably outlast the
Athlon box.  Heck, the microchannel boxen will outlast the PC300xl.  I
said I like these old IBMs because they are bulletproof.  Not to
mention  EMI/RFI filtering that is second to none, which is important
in my shack.  I started in the computer biz circa 1990, so I've seen
quite a bit of clone hardware.  It's a pity that IBM blew the marketing
of microchannel, we would all be better off.

Thanks for the input, Curt.

73,

Jim

- --
Jim Shorney      -->.<--Put complaints in this box
jshorney at inebraska.com
nu0c at amsat.org
Ham Radio NU0C
Lincoln, NE, USA