[Xastir] Prefered map format?

Dick C. Reichenbach dreichen at columbus.rr.com
Wed Nov 5 16:58:00 EST 2003

Nate Bargmann wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> This is probably an FAQ, but I've been driving myself nuts trying to
> find a map format that isn't ugly as all get out.
>
> I downloaded some palmmap files and they are okay, but not impressive.

This is my personal preference.  I bought the set from Mike, so the ones
I use covers pretty much all of North America, and most of Europe as
well.

> I've tried various Tiger line format files and totally found things
> lacking.  Far too many files to deal with and no real guidance that I
> coupld find to use them effectively.  End result, still ugly.

These shapefiles can be very pretty, as pretty as the dynamic maps, but
it takes a lot of work to get them that way.  It's all there in the docs
on how to do it, it just takes time, to both understand the docs, and to
do the work.

And you are right on the the other point.  There are too many of them.
My older computer can take many minutes to load all the layers and all
the counties that I would want to see at one time.

> I thought I'd try MacAPRS files, but had no luck trying to decompress
> them as Xastir never showed a map on the screen.

I have some handy.  If you want, I can convert a bunch to another
compression format.  But they are very similar to palmmap files, with
less detail and because Mike has done some extensive work in cleaning up
the original Tiger line files, they have errors that (current
generation) palmmaps don't have.

> I am frustrated, to say the least, and should probably go back to doing
> something else, but I'd really like a map display worthy of 2003 instead
> of a few lines and an ugly motif-gray background.  :-\

Well, small consolation, but the background is changable, I like rose
myself. :^/

I'd like to see some work on the SDAL mapping spec, but hey, I just want
way too much.  I've already got 2 other requests in to the developers.

Dick Reichenbach - KC8OBZ