[Xastir] Prefered map format?

Nate Bargmann n0nb at networksplus.net
Wed Nov 5 17:41:51 EST 2003

* Dick C. Reichenbach <dreichen at columbus.rr.com> [2003 Nov 05 16:13 -0600]:

> > I've tried various Tiger line format files and totally found things
> > lacking.  Far too many files to deal with and no real guidance that I
> > coupld find to use them effectively.  End result, still ugly.
>
> These shapefiles can be very pretty, as pretty as the dynamic maps, but
> it takes a lot of work to get them that way.  It's all there in the docs
> on how to do it, it just takes time, to both understand the docs, and to
> do the work.
>
> And you are right on the the other point.  There are too many of them.
> My older computer can take many minutes to load all the layers and all
> the counties that I would want to see at one time.

I have to do more reading, obviously, but I'm rather vague on what
exactly is downloaded in the dynamic Tiger mode and why the files I
downloaded aren't rendered the same way.

If the rendering were the same I'd have no complaint and I wouldn't have
started this thread.  :-)

> I have some handy.  If you want, I can convert a bunch to another
> compression format.  But they are very similar to palmmap files, with
> less detail and because Mike has done some extensive work in cleaning up
> the original Tiger line files, they have errors that (current
> generation) palmmaps don't have.

Thanks for the info.

> Well, small consolation, but the background is changable, I like rose
> myself. :^/

I figured that out and went to steel blue myself.

> I'd like to see some work on the SDAL mapping spec, but hey, I just want
> way too much.  I've already got 2 other requests in to the developers.

As I said in another reply.  I did not intend my original message as a
flame toward the developers nor anyone else.  I was just a bit
frustrated at my inability to get a display similar to the Widnos
programs screenshots, that's all.

73, de Nate >>

 Internet | n0nb at networksplus.net               | free since January 1998.
 Location | Bremen, Kansas USA EM19ov           |  "Debian, the choice of
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  |     a GNU generation!"
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |   http://www.debian.org