[Xastir] Prefered map format?

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Nov 6 01:35:41 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> I'm using the pre-built package in the Debian archive, so I'm not
> exactly sure whether --with-dbkawk was used.  It probably was.

Nope.  That's a new feature that Alan coded up.  It allows us to do a
lot more, but since it's so new, it might be a bit before people
start enabling that by default for binary distributions of Xastir.

> As for an amateurish look, I'm not so sure that is a good thing.  I
> firmly believe that Linux based systems offer many advantages to hams
> over Widnows of any release.  The problem is one of first impression and
> while I know that is not a fair way to judge something, that's how many
> people do judge things.

So give them their money back!   hi hi

> I'm not at all up to speed on Xastir yet, but I'm mystified as to why
> the Tiger data I downloaded is not rendered the same as that which is
> dynamically downloaded.

Because the Tigermap images from the 'net are just that:  Images.
When you use ESRI Shapefile maps from local hard drive, you have full
control over how they're rendered yourself, both through the
Map->Properties options and now through the dbfawk options as well.
We didn't ever intend to duplicate the look/feel of the Tigermap
server.  You can do that if you wish though.

We have more map support than ANY other APRS client out there.  Play
with it a bit more and you'll get the hang of what you can/can't do.
I can make maps that look very similar to the Tigermap server, except
for the exact colors.  I tend not to want to do that though, as I
only enable the layers I need at any given instant to speed things
up.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer