[Xastir] Prefered map format?

Nate Bargmann n0nb at networksplus.net
Thu Nov 6 09:06:38 EST 2003

* Curt Mills, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> [2003 Nov 06 06:11 -0600]:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
> > I'm using the pre-built package in the Debian archive, so I'm not
> > exactly sure whether --with-dbkawk was used.  It probably was.
>
> Nope.  That's a new feature that Alan coded up.  It allows us to do a
> lot more, but since it's so new, it might be a bit before people
> start enabling that by default for binary distributions of Xastir.

Ahh, okay.  I guess it's documented in the newer releases?

> > As for an amateurish look, I'm not so sure that is a good thing.  I
> > firmly believe that Linux based systems offer many advantages to hams
> > over Widnows of any release.  The problem is one of first impression and
> > while I know that is not a fair way to judge something, that's how many
> > people do judge things.
>
> So give them their money back!   hi hi

???

> > I'm not at all up to speed on Xastir yet, but I'm mystified as to why
> > the Tiger data I downloaded is not rendered the same as that which is
> > dynamically downloaded.
>
> Because the Tigermap images from the 'net are just that:  Images.

Homer Simpson, "Doh!"

I feel a bit foolish now for not having figured that out...

> When you use ESRI Shapefile maps from local hard drive, you have full
> control over how they're rendered yourself, both through the
> Map->Properties options and now through the dbfawk options as well.
> We didn't ever intend to duplicate the look/feel of the Tigermap
> server.  You can do that if you wish though.

Perhaps in time I can learn that well enough to make up a HOWTO for
others.

> We have more map support than ANY other APRS client out there.  Play
> with it a bit more and you'll get the hang of what you can/can't do.
> I can make maps that look very similar to the Tigermap server, except
> for the exact colors.  I tend not to want to do that though, as I
> only enable the layers I need at any given instant to speed things
> up.

Layers?  I'm not fluent in graphics by any means, but as I added .shp
files everything appears (well, after I disable maps, kill xastir,
delete map_index.sys and selected_maps.sys from ~/.xastir/config and
restarting xastir and re-enabling maps).  Exactly what layers do I can't
tell as I see no change.

Thanks for all your work on Xastir.

73, de Nate >>

 Internet | n0nb at networksplus.net               | free since January 1998.
 Location | Bremen, Kansas USA EM19ov           |  "Debian, the choice of
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  |     a GNU generation!"
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |   http://www.debian.org