[Xastir] Prefered map format?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Nov 6 13:00:28 EST 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> > > I'm using the pre-built package in the Debian archive, so I'm not
> > > exactly sure whether --with-dbkawk was used.  It probably was.
> >
> > Nope.  That's a new feature that Alan coded up.  It allows us to do a
> > lot more, but since it's so new, it might be a bit before people
> > start enabling that by default for binary distributions of Xastir.
>
> Ahh, okay.  I guess it's documented in the newer releases?

Yes.  CVS Xastir, or the Nov. 4th development snapshot has it as
well I think.  It's a "configure" option.  You won't have the new
feature without configuring it in, then doing a new compile.

> > So give them their money back!   hi hi
>
> ???

Xastir is free...

> Perhaps in time I can learn that well enough to make up a HOWTO for
> others.

If you come up with something that you think should be added to the
docs, or doc changes, let us know.  Reuven is our docs guy, but any
of the 12 developers can tweak the docs.

> Layers?  I'm not fluent in graphics by any means, but as I added .shp
> files everything appears (well, after I disable maps, kill xastir,
> delete map_index.sys and selected_maps.sys from ~/.xastir/config and
> restarting xastir and re-enabling maps).  Exactly what layers do I can't
> tell as I see no change.

There are reindex maps and index new maps options in later Xastir's.
Under Map Chooser->Properties you can select which map layer each
map exists on.  Xastir loads lower-numbered layers first, so think
of them as the bottom of the map stack.  Latest Xastir also allows
you to pick a min/max zoom for each map file, so that different maps
take over as you zoom in/out.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin