[Xastir] WX Igateing

Dennis Hudson n2lbt at n2lbt.com
Fri Nov 21 14:34:42 EST 2003

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:14:24 -0600
> Daniel Turner <daniett at a.cs.okstate.edu> wrote:
> I run an IGate for the Stillwater area in Oklahoma, I have been asked
> if
>
> it is possabe to gate all WX stations to RF.. all of them, not just
> traffic destinded for my area. Is there a way to do this? Thanks!
> -Daniel
> KD5UZZ

The answer is yes and no. You could reverse gate some of the weather
stations to your RF network. The ones that you could would be only
verified amateur radio stations from the internet or another RF lan
that was gated to the internet. AFAIK you cannot reverse gate a WX
station from an unverified connection, eg Civilian Weather Stations. I
wish this was not the case as it would be a valuable asset to local
tactical ops if we could see a Weather conditions from multiple sources
on RF. I haven't verified this on xastir but the recent builds of aprsd
have locked out unverified reverse gating functions. There appears to
be no override available (unless I hack the source myself which would
be a very bad idea)

On Nov 21, 2003, at 2:02 PM, Jim Chandler wrote:

> You could do this if you wanted to render your RF network totally
> unusable.  Your radio would be sending out packets at 1200 baud almost
> constantly.
>
> Jim

Good point Jim, but I assume Daniel was talking about a few select
stations eg. in your area that are not on RF already. Or maybe a
particular station of interest to you or someone in your area that does
not have access to the internet eg. regional NWS station or dx mountain
top or something.

Dennis, N2LBT