[Xastir] Question: Should I be an igate or not?

Greg Jurrens greg at jurrens.net
Fri Nov 21 14:47:14 EST 2003

James:

On questions 1 and 2:

1. You are very much on track for determining the need to iGate or not.  If I FINDU your callsign, I see that you are the only thing around for 15 miles.  After that, there is a cluster North in Carson...etc.  http://map.findu.com/KG7HH*  In Austin, TX we try to have 2 24/7 iGATES running.  This gives good coverage and reliability.  We also have several others that have been part-timers and 1 more has gone 24/7.  No problem with redundancy as the IS handles dupes.  Just at a glance, I'd say you need to iGATE your slice of Nevada!

2. There are many IS-servers that will take your data.  I use a regional one here in Central Texas.  In your area, you may want to start with:

ahubwest.net   The CA types perhaps could suggest a better local server for you.

3. Let me know if you find the answer to #3....It's pixie dust to me.

Good luck and happy gating.

73,
Greg WD0ACD
Happy Xastir Linux user for almost 2 years.

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:44:29 -0800
James Washer <washer at trlp.com> wrote:

> I'm fairly new to APRS. I've done a fair amount of googling, etc.. and still have a few questions about igates.
>
> Q1)Should I be an igate? With what crireria should I make this decision. Here's what I'd did to make my decision. I used xastir to put out an ?igate? query and received no responses. Further, looked at those few packets from my mobile tracker that made it to findu, and went searching for the igate. ~200 miles away from here.. So, I decided this was sufficient evidence to support my decision to run as an igate. Do you agree, or is there some better method? Or does it matter how many igates there are?
>
> Q2)How do I choose the right internet site ( whatever they are called ) for the 'net' connection. Again, with much hunting around, I located a site.. but is it the 'right' site?
>

> Q3)Is there any documentation that explains what occurs on the net(tcpip) side of this whole system. i.e. Is there some master site? Many peer site? etc etc.

Greg Jurrens - WD0ACD