[Xastir] Question about TNC UnProto Paths.

BobDonnell at arkalmus.com BobDonnell at arkalmus.com
Fri Nov 21 22:31:12 EST 2003

Hi James,

Generally speaking, unless there is another fixed station near you
that's acting as a RELAY digipeater, you should enable digipeating and
set MYALIAS to RELAY.  It's intended to help assure that packets from
APRS mobiles that pass near your QTH are passed along to the high-level
digipeaters.  This is because mobile stations generally have a lot of
packets lost because their varying signal strengths as they move results
in a much lower probability of being copied error-free (and hence
digipeated) than do fixed stations.  If there's an APRSer within a mile
or two of you that has an equivalent or better station, leave
digipeating on and set MYALIAS to RELAY.  However if you're in Southern
California, disregard all of this - they're doing things differently.
Look to the local folk for how to get things set up.  Since you said
you're the first igate in the area, I doubt you're in SoCal though!

Hope that helps!

73, Bob, KD7NM