[Xastir] Tons of Tiger maps -- can we use them?

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Nov 24 00:53:37 EST 2003

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Jack Twilley wrote:

> I have almost 2000 files for California alone.  I'd like the whole
> country, but I don't want to spend six weeks clicking on ESRI's site.
>
> What other sites are there?

I remember that you can download an entire layer at a time for a
state, so you only need to repeat that a few times for each state.
If you're trying to create an archive containing every layer
possible, then you're probably out of luck.  I only use a small
subset of the layers typically:  roads/rivers/lakes.

http://www.mapshots.com has shapefile format maps as well, but they
don't have all of the layers available.

Perhaps a good solution would be to have a CVS site somewhere, where
people could add maps that were missing.  If we had 25 volunteers who
took two states each, we could have it filled with the entire U.S.
fairly quickly.  It'd be good to have a site like that, and mirrors
of the site as well.  Would make it much easier to download maps, and
in fact we could even add code to Xastir then to auto-download the
area maps you're interested in.

It's possible that someone like James Jefferson might already have
the entire set of maps available.  Doesn't Aprsworld use those?

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer