[Xastir] unable to run xastir executable

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Nov 24 01:09:40 EST 2003

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Bob Poirier wrote:

> I have just finished loading cygwin and xastir on a IBM Thinkpad 380XD running WIN98SE.  Everything compliled and configured as advertised but when I go to run xastir  in "X-" either from the shortcut "xastir &" or directly from the /usr/local/bin/xastir directory I get the message " bash: ./xastir: Permission denied.
>
> Can anyone enlighten this Unix neophyte?

Well, you're not running Unix, but I guess from a user perspective,
it kind of looks like it, doesn't it?  ;-)

By adding the "./" portion in front of an executable name, you're
telling your shell (in this case the BASH shell) to look for the
executable in the current directory.  Is "xastir" in the current
directory when you try to run this command?  Try the "ls" command to
see.

"xastir" should have gotten installed in the /usr/local/bin
directory, and that should be in your path.  Try "xastir &" instead,
and if that doesn't work, try "/usr/local/bin/xastir &".  If you
still get the same sort of error, check the permissions on the
executable using this command:  "ls -l /usr/local/bin/xastir"

It should have the read and execute permissions set for the
"owner", "group", and "others".  Skipping the first character,
owner/group/others each have three characters.  The first says
whether they have "read" permission, the second "write" permission,
and the third "execute" permission.  For directories, the "execute"
permission changes to "change directory" permission.  On Linux,
I have this:

-r-sr-xr-x  1 root root 1086308 Nov 22 21:41 /usr/local/bin/xastir
       ^^^
    ^^^ `-- Others
 ^^^ `----- Group
`---------- Special bit

You might see "-r-xr-xr-x".  I have the SUID bit set, which makes the
first 'x' into an 's' instead.  You shouldn't have to worry about
that on Windows though.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer