[Xastir] AX.25 questions

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Nov 25 01:17:06 EST 2003

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Daniel Turner wrote:

> I did see a post to another list that stated 9.0
> was ready for AX.25 out of box, but in the next sentence it said RedHat
> had messed up AX.25...which is it?

People on the linux-hams mailing list would probably be in a better
position to answer that.  I use SuSE, and AX.25 usually works out of
the box for me.  After configuring it properly of course.

> Also, is there a way to run AX.25
> with the TNC directly connected to the linux machine and still have
> access over the (ethernet) network from the win2k machine to the TNC?

Yes.  Depending on what you're trying to do.  For APRS you could run
something like aprsd and then connect APRS clients from any OS to
your local aprsd server.  There are other ways of sharing com ports
across a network, but I think those usually only allow one machine
at a time to access a port.  Other people may have more specific
information about those.

> Some times I like to run regular packet and would like to be able to
> switch between APRS and Packet (until I get another TNC anyway).

Which regular packet?  AX.25 or TCP/IP over AX.25?  If the latter,
you could set up your Linux box to do everything, and just route
packets from your other machines through it.

If you want to do keyboard stuff, you could telnet from another
box to your Linux box and then connect out from there.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer