[Xastir] Re: Tons of Tiger Maps -- can we use them?

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Tue Nov 25 01:32:43 EST 2003

Actually, I have just played around a tiny bit with the tiger maps that
Jack pointed out.

By using ogr2ogr on the county files for my county (TGR35001) directly,
and copying the file "CompleteChain.shp" and its related files elsewhere,
Xastir displayed it very nicely if I copied the "tgrlk.dbfawk" file and
changed nothing but the DBFINFO signature.

The appropriate change was:

dbfinfo="MODULE:TLID:SIDE1:SOURCE:FEDIRP:FENAME:FETYPE:FEDIRS:CFCC:FRADDL:TOADDL:FRADDR:TOADDR:FRIADDL:TOIADDL:FRIADDR:TOIADDR:ZIPL:ZIPR:AIANHHFPL:AIANHHFPR:AIHHTLIL:AIHHTLIR:CENSUS1:CENSUS2:STATEL:STATER:COUNTYL:COUNTYR:COUSUBL:COUSUBR:SUBMCDL:SUBMCDR:PLACEL:PLACER:TRACTL:TRACTR:BLOCKL:BLOCKR";

All the line features in the county showed up exactly the way they would have
using the ESRI line files, and I got them all in one zip file.  I get roads,
streams, railroads, etc. all in one convenient package.  Admittedly it's a
big package, but whaddya want?

'Course, the lines for my neighborhood are way off.  My street is three hundred
yards or so away from where it's supposed to be, for example.  But that was
the case with the tigermaps that show up if I enabled xastir's built-in tiger
downloads, so all is well.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/