[Xastir] still having compile problems

Byron Smith wa6ylb at theworks.com
Tue Oct 14 02:06:13 EDT 2003

>There has to be a better way than loading 4
> > Gigs of RH 9.
>
>Yea.  You shouldn't have to.  You could start with Slackware and get
>it going in easily under 200MB.  I've done it.
>
>The trick is to install just a base system, then install only the
>libs and header file needed.

With an ever so anticipated drum roll  ---------

**Just what are those libs and header files that are needed**? I've asked
until my
fingers are blue in the tips of them.... :-(

I know the "additional bells" support files are listed in xastir docs, but
the "lets just compile a working Xastir without those listed files" doesn't
exist.
I know. I've looked. I've spent many hours looking. This shouldn't be a
"state" secret.

>There are problems with the some of the RedHat packages.  Ask on the
>mailing list specifically about RedHat 9 and there are at least two
>people that have written up stuff about how to get it running.

The RH9 at home loads the tiger maps and displays them just fine.
I didnt have to load anything special. ImageMagick  version is 5.4.7 on RH9
cd's.
When I told the home system to load the whole 4 GB's of RH9 cds, Xastir
compiled with
out even a glitch. Came right up - amazing. Something must be there to
satisfy Xastir's lib needs.

 >  OK if the compiler is smart enough to tell me something is missing,
> > then perhaps it can tell me whats
> > missing. I suspect its a library thats actually part of something else,
> > with a
> > name no where close to ImageMagick. Any ideas?
>
>It's possible.  ImageMagick needs a few other things

--> which are???? These are the things that really should be documented.

>, depending on
>what features got compiled into the RH9 version of ImageMagick.  You
>could check the config.log file for Xastir to see if the problem
>may lie somewhere else.

AH - I'll look for such a thing. Perhaps a message during the
compile stage such as "this or that not found - check config.log for
details" might be nice.

> > Also the MAKE gets stuck on "cant find -ljpg" or such a thing. I had it
> > say that to png too.
>
>That means that ImageMagick got compiled with jpeg support, but it
>can't find "libjpg" on your system to compile in.

Hmm. I have the libjpg installed. (scratching head at this point)
I'll re verify this tomorrow.
I think I had installed a libpng too, since the compile stopped at -lPNG
once, until
I put this unknown needed libpng in the mix.

> > Funny, all the functions (?) in a list just before the "cant find" have
> > -l before the name, such as -ljpg, -lpng, -1Xpm etc. I wonder what thats
> > all about?
>
>libjpg, libpng, libXpm

so -l means lib?

>The ones needed to compile Xastir are listed in configure nicely.
>It's the ones needed to go with the libs are not, 'cuz they vary by
>system.  ImageMagick needs quite a few libs, and they vary a LOT
>based on how ImageMagick was configured/compiled for that system.

OK. I guess whats not apparent to a new user is, that certain functions
are part of unknown, unmentioned packages. For instance, I may not know
that function XYZ is really
part of XFRee86-devel... Any kind of rosetta stone for these kinds of things?

The only way I have found some of this out, is to search descriptions of
packages
at RH. Hopefully, the "function" name of "XYZ" is mentioned in their
descriptions
If not, its on to google to attempt to establish a link between needed
function XYZ and
a package name. See why this is so much of a hit and miss uphill battle for
someone who
isnt an expert yet on Linux?

For instance, PNG is mentioned. How was a guy suppose to know that libpng
contained the png
function that Xastir wanted?
yikes!

Byron Smith
wa6ylb at theworks.com

http://www.theworks.com/~wa6ylb

What was the best thing before sliced bread?