[Xastir] More attempts to compile...(RH9)

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Oct 14 12:51:02 EDT 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Byron Smith wrote:

> This is the issue I have been talking about all along. Xastir complains
> about not having a certain function. How is a guy suppose to know
> where -lbz2 is part of which package?
>
> This is why a decoder list is needed.
> A typical list might be:
>
> Libs/Headers  Xastir needs:
>
> Function     usually comes in:
>
> XYZ           ABC (SuSE), DEF (RH9) , EFG (mandrake)
> 123           packagename etc, etc etc
>
> When guys find that a different name package
> has XYZ or 123 in it, they can mention it , and it
> can be added to the list.
>

> At least we'd have a fighting chance to find these things.

Our fighting chance would be to dump ImageMagick once and for all,
in favor of GDAL and perhaps additionally GraphicsMagick, for those
image formats that GDAL doesn't support.  Most users would have
everything they need just be installing GDAL.

Hopefully we'll be able to do that in the coming months.

The issues you've been struggling with have been ImageMagick issues,
not Xastir issues.

Can someone familiar with RedHat9 please help Byron out?  I've been
talking to him a bit via personal e-mail, but I don't run RedHat
anymore.  He needs specific RedHat help I think.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin