[Xastir] Map Problems

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Oct 17 12:29:41 EDT 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 epound at atg.cap.gov wrote:

> I'm trying to use the Tiger Census maps, Toposerver, or Terraserver maps.
> The only luck I've has is to use the Tiger maps at full world zoom.  Once I
> move in just one level the maps don't load.  I have had no luck using the
> Terra or Topo server.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What operating system are you using?  What version of Xastir?  Have
you increased the timeout on getting the Tigermaps?  Sometimes their
site is slow and we time out before the complete image is
downloaded.  Try making the Xastir window very small, and zooming
in to a small area in the U.S.  If that works, experiment to see
where it stops working.

Did you compile in any of the optional libraries?  Sounds like you
have at least ImageMagick support if you have anything showing up
from Tigermap.

Did you follow the instructions in the INSTALL or the README.win32
file (depending on type of OS)?

We don't support Tiger/Line map format (but perhaps you're referring
to the online Tigermap server instead, which we _do_ support, with
ImageMagick), but we do support the Tiger/Line files which have been
converted to Shapefiles by ESRI.  That map source is listed in
README.MAPS.

Do you have a recent version of "wget" and/or libcurl installed?
We use one of those two to fetch the remote map images.  Sometimes
the "wget" on some systems isn't up to par.  Sometimes libcurl isn't
installed at all.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin