[Xastir] Cartographers? UTM/UPS Questions

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Oct 19 18:40:53 EDT 2003

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> I'll look at definitive answers tomorrow post-soccer with my daughter!

Great!

I've since changed to a fixed zone zero ("00Y" and similar) for the
UPS areas, and changed the grids there to show two zones per pole.
I think those changes are probably correct.

I'm still confused about whether the official UTM grid used all over
the world has been screwed-up by the U.S. military for a few zones.
It's unclear whether the special zone sizes apply only to MGRS, or to
generic UTM zones used by civilians as well.  I'm hoping it's the
former.  Different sources appear to contradict each other.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer