[Xastir] Findu not decoding WX packet?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Oct 30 10:53:06 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Dennis Hudson wrote:

> I sold my iMac that was my wx station for many moons. I'm sorry I did,
> this damn RH installation was painful compared to the mac.

Try SuSE Linux or Debian...

SuSE uses the RPM system, but (in my opinion anyway) the packages
seem to be better than RedHat or Mandrake.  I have fewer problems
getting things configured and running than I used to on RedHat
anyway.

Other people _really_ like the Debian packaging system, which by all
accounts is better than the RPM system.  In fact, I seem to remember
Gerry C. mentioning that the apt-get system is available on
non-Debian systems as well.  Haven't tried it though.

> Anyway, same
> WX station Peet Bros U2K and same xastir connection. I'm connected to
> my aprsd machine at work on port 14580. It appears to be reverse gating
> my packet to RF and my D700 reads the wx fine. Another Xastir client on
> both RF and IS read the packet as well. db.aprsworld is reading it but
> findu is not decoding. Anyone have a direction for me to start looking?
> I've put a few samples below that findu is not picking up. BTW I love
> the combined wx position packet. Maybe I should even use the compressed
> packet?

If you do, some systems might not decode it, including the Kenwoods
and perhaps Findu.  I suspect that Aprsworld might decode it ok.
It's still a little-used option in the APRS spec.

> N2LBT-7>APX121,TCPIP*,qAC,N2LBT-7:=4239.04N\07348.11W_272/
> 005g017t052r002P002p002h00b10042XU2k
> N2LBT-7>APX121,TCPIP*,qAC,N2LBT-7:=4239.04N\07348.11W_116/
> 000g000t047r000P000p000h00b10167XU2k
>
> nor these
>
> N2LBT-7>APX121,TCPIP*,qAC,N2LBT-7:@301424z4239.04N\07348.11W_239/
> 011g013t049r000P000p006h92b10237XU2k
> N2LBT-7>APX121,TCPIP*,qAC,N2LBT-7:@301145z4239.04N\07348.11W_192/
> 000g000t042r000P000p027h00b10213XU2k
>

> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/rawposit.cgi?call=n2lbt
> -7&start=96&length=96

When I have questions like these, I go straight to the spec.  If it
looks ok via the spec, bring it up with Steve Dimse directly.  Don't
bring it to him if you haven't done your research on it yet though.
;-)

With just a quick look at the packets, they look ok to me.  Perhaps
the 'X' near the end is specifically parsed by findu and
disallowed?  The spec mentions 'x' but not 'X'.  A common problem is
setting the symbol to a non-WX packet symbol, but it looks like
you're ok there.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin