[Xastir] readme.win32 file

Byron Smith wa6ylb at theworks.com
Mon Sep 1 23:41:46 EDT 2003

Well, after running into problems installing XFree86 stuff on my RH9.0 box
(rpm issues), I grabbed a laptop and
proceeded to do the CYGwin/Xastir install on it. Dang it, I want to try
Xastir ;-)

CYGWIN installed without a hitch. (win98se)

I then started following the README.win32 instructions and have found the
following item that perhaps need to be
updated. There could be more - I didnt make it past instruction 6. Please
read on.

Step 5: mentions hitting "enter" in "order to create a dummy blank password
in your .cvspass file"....

1. There isnt a .cvspass file yet. You must create it "before" you enter
the five command lines.
    IF you dont know the VI commands (it reminds me of ED.COM from cp/m
days), Nano is more user friendly.
    I went to the /home/<user> area and then typed nano .cvspass
    I then did a Control O to "write the file" with an Control X to exit.
Now there is
    a file to write the dummy password into.

Step 6. This is where xastir gets configured/compiled etc.

I invoked cd ~/src/xastir  successfully
Then I typed:

./bootstrap.sh

Which then showed a couple of names:

aclocal
autoheader

Then I started getting Windows "Perl has caused an invalid page fault
in..." messages
pertaining to the following files:

cwd.dll
io.dll
fcntl.dll
posix.dll
glob.dll

Then it repeated the same files again, then added:

dumper.dll

Then it started repeating the first list with dumper.dll.
At this point I figured something is wrong and got out of X. I then
rebooted the machine
started X, and then the shell statement again, and got the same exact Perl
page fault errors.

Any ideas? Perhaps I wasnt meant to run Xastir. :-(

Byron Smith
wa6ylb at theworks.com

http://www.theworks.com/~wa6ylb

What was the best thing before sliced bread?