[Xastir] readme.win32 file

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Sep 2 13:47:23 EDT 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Byron Smith wrote:

> Well, after running into problems installing XFree86 stuff on my RH9.0 box
> (rpm issues), I grabbed a laptop and
> proceeded to do the CYGwin/Xastir install on it. Dang it, I want to try
> Xastir ;-)

It has installed fine on most SuSE linux versions I've tried.  I
just installed it on 8.2, and have been running (and developing) on
SuSE 7.3 for quite a while.  I've also run it on Slackware with no
problems.  The RedHat problems can be worked through, it just takes
a bit of effort on each user's part.  Perhaps the next version of
RedHat will be better in this regard.

> Step 5: mentions hitting "enter" in "order to create a dummy blank password
> in your .cvspass file"....
>
> 1. There isnt a .cvspass file yet. You must create it "before" you enter
> the five command lines.
>     IF you dont know the VI commands (it reminds me of ED.COM from cp/m
> days), Nano is more user friendly.
>     I went to the /home/<user> area and then typed nano .cvspass
>     I then did a Control O to "write the file" with an Control X to exit.
> Now there is
>     a file to write the dummy password into.

You were probably running into problems getting into the anonymous
CVS server.  It's not a problem that the file wasn't there, CVS will
create it once it manages to make a successful connect to the anon
CVS server.

> Which then showed a couple of names:
>
> aclocal
> autoheader
>
> Then I started getting Windows "Perl has caused an invalid page fault
> in..." messages
> pertaining to the following files:
>
> cwd.dll
> io.dll
> fcntl.dll
> posix.dll
> glob.dll
>
> Then it repeated the same files again, then added:
>
> dumper.dll
>
> Then it started repeating the first list with dumper.dll.
> At this point I figured something is wrong and got out of X. I then
> rebooted the machine
> started X, and then the shell statement again, and got the same exact Perl
> page fault errors.

This is what I get, normal on my SuSE 7.3 system:

    > ./bootstrap.sh
    Running aclocal
    Running autoheader
    autoheader: `config.h.in' is unchanged
    Running autoconf
    configure.ac:34: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_GNU_SOURCE
    Running automake

I suspect there may have been a problem with the Perl install in
Cygwin.  The Cygwin installer will sometimes silently fail on a
package (or lots of packages).  The best way to make sure everything
is installed correctly and up-to-date is to rerun the Cygwin
installer until it doesn't add/change anything.  At that point try
the Xastir install again.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin