[Xastir] readme.win32 file

Tyler Allison tyler at allisonhouse.com
Wed Sep 3 15:42:26 EDT 2003

> One fellow that responded said that he had all the CD-ROM RPM packages
> installed on his RH9.0 system due to loading them all from the get go. I
> may just reload the whole box and do the same thing, in order to get the
> RH9.0 to get by the RPM issue. I still want
> to email RH (for whatever good that will do) and mention to them the
> trouble I'm having (at least bring it to their attention). Xastir -
> someday soon I hope ...
> :-(

No no no. You dont want *ANY* packages from Redhat that Xastir might use.
Installing the entire RH9 system is a waste of diskspace and time. Im
running my Xastir RH9 system on old PC with a 1Gig hard disk.

It's very SIMPLE to get RH9 running Xastir...do the following. If I have a
couple hours in the next couple days I'll write up a DETAILED RH9 install
guide using my laptop as the test machine.

- Install RH9 with the basic server configuration.

- Use rpm -qa and rpm -e to remove *ALL* libraries and packages listed in
the Xastir INSTALL file. If rpm -e says that package is required by some
other package, then remove the other package too.

- Download, compile, install *FROM SOURCE* all libraries and packages
Xastir will be using.

- Compile Xastir

I did this not 4 days ago with a brand new RH9 machine and I was up and
running within a few hours.

I have some experience building automated redhat configuration scripts so
depending on my availability I'll see about writing one up and maybe we
can just point RH9 questions at the script.

-Tyler