[Xastir] Tigermap Cache

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Sep 14 21:30:06 EDT 2003

On 6 Sep 2003, Gary Bricker wrote:

> Is there a way to get the Tigermaps to be cached?  I would like to be
> able to take the laptop out on public service events but still be able
> to use the maps that were previously downloaded.

I'm sorry that nobody answered this until now.  I've been unavailable
for the last week or so, or I would have gotten to it.

Yea, there is a way, but they'll look a bit different.  All of the
information will be there, but you'll have to download the various
map layers that you're interested in for the particular counties/
states you want, and you'll have to set up the map layers and filled/
unfilled options for each one.  You'll need the Shapelib library
integrated into Xastir, if you don't have that in there already.  You
need it for the weather alerts to work anyway, so it's good to have
(you also need to download the shapefiles from NOAA for those to
work).

Go to esri.com as specified in the README.MAPS file and get the
TigerLine files that have been converted to Shapefile format.  On the
ESRI page you can select a layer by an entire state, or you can
select multiple layers for one county at a time.  Download a few and
then unzip them somewhere in your map directory, then reindex your
maps.  You can then go into Map Chooser->Properties and set up the
proper options and layering for each map.

I have a mobile setup that has these types of maps and the USGS topos
on it.  Works great.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer