[Xastir] re-making Xastir w/shapelib & imageMagick

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Sep 17 00:47:30 EDT 2003

Orrin Winton wrote:
> Well i'm back on the list now that i have a working
> Xastir packet setup:  Xastir 1.2.0 on my RH9 box
> listening on port 8000 to my Win98 Pentium-I running
> AGWPE.

Cool.

> Now that i'm on the air (both xmit & recv) i naturally
> aspire to get more & better maps!

Don't we all?

> To the point:
> For adding shapelib & imageMagick, the readme
> files for win32 (cygwin) say that i should have the
> following directories set up:
>
> ~/src/xastir
> ~/src/imagemagick
> ~/src/shapelib
>
> Well i did that and upgraded my cygwin box apparently
> successfully; it compiled and installed with no
> errors (1.2.1).  But i'm not going to be USING the
> cygwin box in my recently-successful packet station.
>
> On my Linux box (which is what i really need to get
> upgraded to shapelib & ImMagick), i find that somehow
> i ended up having the following:
>
> ~/xastir
>
> In other words, not ~/src/xastir.  In fact, i can't
> find any readme info that definitely states i should
> have ~/src/xastir.  (As i state above, the win32 readme
> DOES in fact say to make it ~/src/xastir, but as far
> as i could tell, Linux users are not told to create
> the ~/src directory.)

No: What you have is source in ~/xastir...

> So... do i have a problem?  Do i then have (on my
> Linux, non-cygwin box):

No.  It's happy.

> ~/xastir
> ~/imagemagic
> ~/shapelib
>
> Something about that doesn't look quite right.  I
> want to check before i try to re-compile Xastir with
> imagemagick and shapelib.

Should be OK.

> Also, will running as root all the time, while
> installing and while operating, cause a problem?
> (Other than i'm risking trashing my system, right?)

The probability of trashing your system is high.  Run it as a user.  Get
Curt to repeat the incantation for the devices (I can't ever remember
them since I haven't had to invoke them in *YEARS* (OK, months...).
It's that stable.

I'm heading for bed now, but I can help with detailed info on compiling
proj, imagemagick and shapelib, plus libtiff.

Drop me a note off-list.

> Thanks for advice, hope this is clear enough, and
> sorry for the (possible) long-windedness.

It'a a better account than I tend to get from tenured faculty!

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173