[Xastir] re-making Xastir w/shapelib & imageMagick

Orrin Winton oakenshieldd at lycos.com
Wed Sep 17 00:07:42 EDT 2003

Well i'm back on the list now that i have a working
Xastir packet setup:  Xastir 1.2.0 on my RH9 box
listening on port 8000 to my Win98 Pentium-I running
AGWPE.

Now that i'm on the air (both xmit & recv) i naturally
aspire to get more & better maps!

To the point:
For adding shapelib & imageMagick, the readme
files for win32 (cygwin) say that i should have the
following directories set up:

~/src/xastir
~/src/imagemagick
~/src/shapelib

Well i did that and upgraded my cygwin box apparently
successfully; it compiled and installed with no
errors (1.2.1).  But i'm not going to be USING the
cygwin box in my recently-successful packet station.

On my Linux box (which is what i really need to get
upgraded to shapelib & ImMagick), i find that somehow
i ended up having the following:

~/xastir

In other words, not ~/src/xastir.  In fact, i can't
find any readme info that definitely states i should
have ~/src/xastir.  (As i state above, the win32 readme
DOES in fact say to make it ~/src/xastir, but as far
as i could tell, Linux users are not told to create
the ~/src directory.)

So... do i have a problem?  Do i then have (on my
Linux, non-cygwin box):

~/xastir
~/imagemagic
~/shapelib

Something about that doesn't look quite right.  I
want to check before i try to re-compile Xastir with
imagemagick and shapelib.

Also, will running as root all the time, while
installing and while operating, cause a problem?
(Other than i'm risking trashing my system, right?)

Thanks for advice, hope this is clear enough, and
sorry for the (possible) long-windedness.

Orrin wn1z in Susanville CA