[Xastir] Xastir directory structure

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Sep 17 01:29:41 EDT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Orrin Winton wrote:

> But if i want to add shapelib and imagemagick, i'd
> have:
>
> ~/xastir
> ~/imagemagick
> ~/shapelib
>
> each coming off my home directory.  Is that right?

Doesn't matter.  Those are just the directories that you are stashing
the sources into so that you can compile them.  Once they are
compiled and installed, the installed files will reside elsewhere,
and you can delete the source directories if you want (to save
space).  Often I leave either the complete source directory around or
at least the .tgz file I started from, in case I want to change
something later.

> When i compile (from ~/xastir instead of from
> ~/src/xastir), the imagemagick & shapelib stuff will
> be found?

Yea, cuz Xastir will be looking for them in the installed locations,
not the source code locations.

> Also, i have what is supposed to be a bad habit of
> running all the time as root.  Is that a problem in
> compiling and running Xastir?  Hasn't been a problem
> so far.

Yea, but once you really mess up something because of it, you'll
learn.  Take our advice and never run as root unless you are doing
some SysAdmin activity that requires it.  Stay out of the root
account at all other times.

Then again, perhaps every new Linux/Unix user _needs_ to go through
that once, so that they understand fully?  hi hi

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer