[Xastir] shapefiles: "line features - roads"

Orrin Winton oakenshieldd at lycos.com
Mon Sep 22 20:21:34 EDT 2003

I've been downloading quite a few files from esri
-- shapefiles.  I put each type of file in its
own directory:  i call the directories ca_county_2000,
nv_county_2000, or_county_2000, and for the "roads"
i have ca_line_features_roads etc.

To the point:  the "roads" files are relatively large
but i'm not seeing much in the way of roads on my
maps.  Just major highways, and even those have breaks
in them.  The aprs-dos maps show roads better than
this. When i zoom in, i don't get more roads.

I have a feeling i'm doing something amiss.  I unzip
them each into their own directory, re-index, and
then use the map chooser to choose a whole directory
at a time to get the maps i want.

This is 1.2.1 with shapefile and ImMagick support,
Cygwin.

orrin wn1z