[Xastir] tiny trackers and xastir

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Sep 23 12:59:12 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, J. Lance Cotton wrote:

> Chris Hare, KD5WIM wrote:
> > Anyone ever tried to connect a tiny tracker to their linux box as the
> > APRS interface between the radio and xaxtir>
>
> I'm afraid that wouldn't help you much at all. The TinyTrak's only purpose
> is to listen to specific data from a GPS and output an APRS position packet.
> The TinyTrak cannot receive or decode packet data and cannot take arbitrary
> TNC commands like Xastir would give it.

But there is another option:  The John Hansen PIC TNC, featured in
QST around Sept 2000 I think.  I'd recommend buying the programmed
PIC direct from John, and even the entire kit might be better than
trying to collect the parts yourself, as some of the caps are
critical to operation.

It's hard to find the EXACT versions of PIC compiler that make
working code.  John tests them after programming so you get a
working chip the first time.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin