[Xastir] Tracking trails

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Sep 23 13:20:21 EDT 2003

On 21 Sep 2003, Byron Smith wrote:

> 1. A different color for each track. Nice.

Up to a certain amount, then it re-uses colors.  Exception is your
own track, which has one color reserved just for it.

> 2. If positions are not heard, Xastir draws lines from each heard posit
> to the next heard. This might be OK for planes and boats, where they
> probably did travel this path, but for cars and trucks its probably not
> the best.
> For instance, to see what the dead areas that perhaps have no coverage,
> you shouldnt see any lines or trails at all. I mean, if there wasnt
> anything heard, why draw a line as if it were? This helps understand
> where dead spots are, and what general areas need to be covered. By
> looking at the lines Xastir makes, you have to realize that there wasnt
> coverage when the trail doesnt line up with known roads. Perhaps an
> option to trails could be just "posit" dots or such things. At least we
> can tell if we received a valid posit from an area or not.

If you select the ghost interval to be quite short, I think that's
the same interval that Xastir uses to decide _not_ to draw a line.
If you ghost interval is 30 minutes and you don't receive a posit
for 30 minutes plus one second, then do, Xastir won't draw a line.
At least I think that's the interval Xastir uses for it.  Might be
the Clear interval instead.  Haven't looked at that part of the code
recently.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin