[Xastir] maps

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Sep 24 10:30:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> Multiple map windows is (I think) on the list for Xastir 2.

Yes.

> I've seen a similar problem with water poly's but I've also seen it in
> ArcView and MapInfo, so I'm not sure if it's our software or my data...

If ArcView does it, it must be in the data.  One thing I've noticed
is that the rivers/streams layer often shows vector borders of
rivers/lakes.  That might be what you're seeing and thinking that it
should be filled in.  The PolyLine stuff (vectors) is never filled
in.  It's only the Polygon layers (*wat* layer in this case) that
contains the lakes/bays that can be filled, if filled is chosen in
the Map Chooser->Properties.

> As for losing streets with area fills on, I suspect you have some
> polygonal areas that are being presented on top of streets that are
> getting filled.  Layering differently may change that, or you may be up
> the preverbial tributary without a manual rowing implement.

If it's street data, that's vector.  If it's getting covered over,
it's because you're loading a filled layer on top of it.  Definitely
change your map layering and that problem will go away.  Either that
or just load the lkH/wat/lkA layers on top of a grey background, and
you'll have rivers/lakes/roads only.  I do that often, as that's
really all I need.  I usually don't need county/state borders.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin