[Xastir] maps

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Sep 26 20:00:58 EDT 2003

On 23 Sep 2003, Chris Hare, KD5WIM wrote:

> Another nice feature would be multuiple map windows.  For example, I
> would like to have one map window with my local county, another with the
> continual USA and open as may as I wanmt for certain parts of the world.

There's a way to do this.  I do it constantly with two or three map
windows.  Here's what you do:

Open an xterm (or rxvt) on your X-windows desktop.

Type "xhost localhost" into the window.  You just changed your
desktop security settings so that other users on _your_ system can
open X11 windows on your desktop.  Multi-user systems beware!

Create another user (or two or three, they're free!).  On SuSE Linux
I use Yast or Yast2 to do this.  Each system has tools for doing
this.

In the xterm window, type "su <newuser>" to become that new user.

Type "cd" to go to your new home directory for that user.

Type "xastir &" and another instance of Xastir will come up, running
as the new user.

Repeat the xterm/su <newuser> thing for each additional instance of
Xastir you wish to run.  Try not to run more than one copy of Xastir
as each user.  They might stomp on each other's config and log
files.  Keep them running as separate users and you'll be fine.

If you set up either AX.25 networking or your own local aprsd
server, all of the Xastir instances can connect to the same physical
TNC devices.

If you run multiple copies of Xastir on full internet feeds, you
might want to run your own copy of aprsd anyway, so that you are
only running one connection across your external internet feed.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin