[Xastir] win32 shapefiles

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Sep 24 10:34:37 EDT 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, J. Lance Cotton wrote:

> I have experienced problems with adding new maps that
> don't show up and found that the solution is to use the "touch" unix command
> to change the file modification date to 'now', at which point, the "Index:
> Add new maps" command in Xastir would properly index the new maps. The
> problem was that when I unzipped the map files, the unzip utility preserved
> the files' modification date as stored in the zip file.

Correct.  We look at the timestamps on the files.  If the map index
is newer than the map files, we don't index.  Touch tweaks the
timestamp.

Another solution is to index all, but that can take a lot of time if
you have a lot of maps.

> > I get, for example in my county (Lassen in CA) only
> > US Hwy 395.  No little roads at all even when i zoom
> > in.
>
> Is US Hwy 395 part of the line_features_roads maps in question?
>
> > So is there a way to get more roads to appear?

Try loading one map at a time for that area to verify that what
you're seeing is what you think you're seeing.  It's possible that
the US395 is part of a different map, and the detailed road maps
that you're not seeing might be covered up by other maps, like the
county/state/U.S./World maps.  Just enable one map at a time and see
what shows up.  You might try it with a black or a white background
so that you can see what gets filled.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin