[Xastir] maps

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Sep 27 01:37:24 EDT 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, James Cour wrote:

> I have played with that approach.  I am still trying to figure out whether I
> am more interested in a particular county, or a particular layer.  Living
> 200 feet north of the county line does not help make the decision any
> easier.  Of course I have the same problem with picking a Wx radar since I
> am near the point where three of them overlap, maybe it would be easier to
> just move?

I bowhunt in an area that is darn near the corner of four 7.5' topo
maps.  As it turns out we hunt just north of there, so I only need
two maps, but we're still very close to the other two.

I saw a very funny study someone did on the likelihood of needing to
tape two maps or four maps together during a SAR mission.  Seems they
noticed they were always at the borders of maps.  The study showed
that statistically it made sense considering the size of the typical
search area.  Just something I had never considered studying...

> I am doing
> what you requested

Didn't you offer first?  ;-)

> and writing a "quick start" guide for Windows XP that
> should answer a lot of the Windows problems.  It will not be quite as
> complete as README.WIN32, but it will make it easier for us Windows type to
> do a clean install in one step.  I am about half-way done with the document.

Great!  I look forward to trying it out.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer