[Xastir] maps

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Sep 27 01:42:25 EDT 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, James Cour wrote:

> > Then just put all eight counties worth of the lkA level under
> > "streets".  Select the subdirectory instead of the individual files
> > and you'll select all the streets in one shot.  A bit of a pain to
> > reorganize, but that's one method that'll work.
>
> I have played with that approach.  I am still trying to figure out whether I
> am more interested in a particular county, or a particular layer.

Another thing I forgot to say:  If you just organize them by layer,
Xastir will figure out which ones fit in your map view (using the
extents in the map index), so you don't have to.  It's fairly quick
at deciding too, so you don't really lose any speed.

I'd just organize it by layer and be done with it.

If you really wanted to, you could organize it using more than one
scheme, using symlinks.  Just create an alternate organization and
create a symlink from there back to the real map files.  Xastir
should index those just fine, thinking you have another complete set
of map files.

That way you could select by either method, yet you wouldn't lose
any significant hard drive space doing so.  Might be a bit of a pain
making all those links though.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer