[Xastir] maps

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Sep 27 12:45:23 EDT 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, James Cour wrote:

> It might!  There is only one way to find out - do you have a link to the
> composite file?

Just sent out a forwarded message from Gerry with the link.

> As I update the install instructions for Windows, I was thinking about all
> the steps necessary to install Xastir (downloading and compiling all the
> libs in particular).  Since WinZip and most other archive programs save
> directory information, is there any reason there can't be an archive with
> all the necessary files in one place that would create and install all the
> libs in one step?  Similarly, there could be a script file that would run
> through all the compile steps (or the mega file could have compiled code).
> The user would still need to manually download Xastir, if only to insure
> that cvs update would work at a later time, but it would sure make the
> overall build process a bit smoother.  Are there technical pitfalls I am
> missing here?

Hard to say.  One of the advantages of compiling from sources is that
it tailors the executable to your system and your libraries.  Without
that, it's hard to say whether it would run on all Windows systems,
all Cygwin installs, all versions of DLL's/libraries, etc.

All I can say is give it a shot, and we'll find out.

I don't know whether Cygwin tailors the download depending on the
type of Windows box, and what service pack/libraries are on it.
If Cygwin ends up with the same libraries installed in the same
places on every box, then you might have a chance to do it the
way you describe above.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer