[Xastir] saving tigermaps server maps?

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Sep 27 19:56:44 EDT 2003

Using JPEGs is sometimes problemmatic.  Using a raster image requires
some way to register it (find enough points where you know the
coordinates to match up the raster image [jpg] and vector maps [tiger])
and rectification (warping said image so that coordinates match between
the datasets).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we're using 2 points to
register and not doing much beyond rubber-sheet stretching to rectify an
image over a vector dataset.

In the normal GIS world, registration is done by an affine method, and
one wants a minimum of 3 points of control.  Similarly, rectification
usually requires 5-7 control points (with any more than 7 starting to
cause problems...).

That's not to say overlaying an image is too difficult.  That's what
we're doing with the radar composite I've been providing.  It's
available as a gif, png, jpg or tif (for the bandwidth rich among us)
and the .geo has been crafted those image resolutions and not lose much
in radar data bin resolution.

Gerry