[Xastir] Re: MySQL/PostgreSQL Discussion

Arno Verhoeven pe1icq at pi8zaa.ampr.org
Sun Sep 28 12:29:26 EDT 2003

Gerry Creager wrote:

> Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
>>
>>> MySQL 4 ha spatial capability.  From my perspective, it's now a matter
>>> of personal choice...
>>

>> But is it adequate for our needs?  I recall that Oracle Spatial and
>> PostgreSQL were quite a bit ahead of MySQL last time we discussed
>> this, and that the planned upgrades to MySQL wouldn't quite get
>> where we wanted to be.
>>
>> Have they progressed even further now?
>

> We aren't doing anything _that_ complicated.  However, if there's a
> question, I vote for PostGreSQL/PostGIS.

 From a packagers perspective I vote for going with whatever is included
in most distributions.
I only know about Slackware, which includes mysql.

If you choose for something that is not part (or conflicts) with what's
already part of that distribution (and Xastir really needs another
database), then it becomes difficult to include a Xastir package with
those Linux distributions.

--
73, PE1ICQ  Arno Verhoeven
smtp   pe1icq at pi8zaa.ampr.org