[Xastir] Tonite's CVS update

KC7ZRU kc7zru at arrl.net
Sun Sep 28 18:33:28 EDT 2003

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wrote:
> Nothing like grabbing a current code snapshot and having it fail
> in the middle of showing things off...

AMEN!! I think it's great! I'd *MUCH* rather accept the risk of
something breaking and do my part to support the pace of developemnt.
That's part of the 'risk' of using the CVS version. If I've gotta have 5
9's reliability - I'd go for a release tarball and stick to it.

> Not a big deal as it was
> easy to fix.   Isn't the separation of the developers CVS and the
> end users CVS suppose to prevent things like this from happening?

I don't think the separation was intentional. It used to be the case by
circumstances, when sourceforge was low on resources. Now that they've
brought their infrastructer up to where they want it - there's no longer
any separation between CVS flavors.

IMNSHO this is a bonus again, as it used to be. We adventerous users
that suck down the 'bleeding edge' code get the privlege of testing
submissions. Nothing better than having a pool of users to suss out
problems ASAP. Tiz good stuff. I know the code smiths do the best they
can, but being a 'filter' to catch ooopses is privlege in my book - not
a problem.

> This is twice in about a week.  :-(   It's good to see lots of things
> changing (progress!) but any project needs a process that protects
> folks downstream from simple build errors.

Personally - I see that as my 'role' in the xastir project. I snag stuff
as soon as I can, enjoy the holy bejeebies outta what works and report
what don't on the rare occasion something pops up. It gets fixed really
fast and in the long run everyone wins. I'm not a coder - so if I can
'test break' stuff for the developers - that's my part and contribution
to the whole.

I like it this way - us non-coders get to contribute and as a benefit,
we get to use the latest greatest.

Just my 2 cents

73