[Xastir] USrad.geo and transparent background

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Tue Sep 30 19:03:25 EDT 2003

Stephen West-Fisher wrote:

>> This file uses
>> http://mesonet.tamu.edu/gemdata/images/radar/01_USrad.png, which I get
>> if I enter that into my browser.
>>
>> As far as the other message, The last line in the geo file is
>> "TRANSPARENT #ffff". I'm going to play around with this stuff some
>> more....
>>
> And therein lies the problem, README.MAPS states it should be
> "TRANSPARENT 0xfff". Funny thing, that works. So the link to the
> USrad.geo file goes to a file that doesn't work correctly if you want a
> transparent map.

Yeah,I made an oops on my suggestion... I just checked the sources and it
should be 0x[color in hex] instead of the "#" symbol.

I'd always assumed that the 0x?????? stuff for colors was supposed to be
6-digits (48 bits), with 16 bits for each color in RGB. I don't know what
0xfff or 0xffff do, but I would assume they would be padded to be equivalent
to 0x000fff or 0x00ffff, which are different colors (teal-ish?)

I just tried both the .gif and .png versions of the
http://mesonet.tamu.edu/gemdata/images/radar/01_USrad.png
image with the following line in USrad.geo:

TRANSPARENT 0xFFFFFF

and it works fine.
73,
Lance
--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the
cookies.