[Xastir] Cygwin

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Sat Apr 3 12:38:40 EST 2004

At 10:23 3-4-2004 +0200, ha2vr wrote:
>As I played a lot with it I decided to make a fresh install of Cygwin and
>xastir. I finished Cygwin with success but Xfree86-xwinclip could not be
>installed as it is a removed package.

In "xstartwin.bat" you will find the comment:

REM -clipboard
REM      Enable the integrated version of xwinclip.  Do not use in
REM      conjunction with the xwinclip program.

Further on you will find:

start XWin -multiwindow -clipboard

So it looks like the -clipboard option superseeded the Xfree86-xwinclip
package and that you shall not load this anymore.

>Getting xastir source was OK.
>./bootstrap.sh OK
>./configure looks OK
>make can not create the executable file.
>It runs and writes:
>gcc -g -02 -pipe -Wall -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib
>-no-undefined -o xastir.exe alert.o awk.o bulletin_gui.o ......... -lX11 -lpcro
>gcc: unrecognized option '-no-undefined'
>Then it starts eating the RAM, windows starts to increase swap file and
>the process never ends just eats the memory.

I get the same GCC error as you have. Linking takes a while, eating a lot
of RAM for this task, but it does produce a correctly linked Xastir. I
think you have to be patient, if your swap file grows then you may not have
enough memory and that will slow down this step a lot more. Eventually it
should succeed however. I have 512 MB on this machine with an Athlon XP3000+.

I tried to do the same on my Compaq laptop with 184 MB memory, but the
install of Cygwin failed - I could start a shell but in X the whole
keyboard layout is messed up. Anyway, I did not get to the point to perform
any testing at all on that machine, sorry.

Kind regards,

Henk.