[Xastir] dbfawk error

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Wed Apr 7 15:59:13 EDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 07:48:07AM -0700, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 tbaggett at jump.net wrote:
>
> > When I did this last night, I discovered that there were already
> > about a half dozen dbfawk files in this directory.
> >
> > How do I know which dbfawk files are being used?
>
> Alan?  Tom?

Added to my tutorial.

> > Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I couldn't find any
> > reference about how Xastir figures out which dbfawk file to use
> > for which maps on Tom's dbfawk HOW-TO, the Xastir FAQ/manual, or
> > in the archives several months.
>
> Sounds like we need some more documentation.  I'm starting to think
> that a README.dbfawk might be a good idea...

Nod.  If DBFAWK usage becomes widespread, there's gonna be a lot of new FAQs.

> If Tom wouldn't mind, I think his tgr2shp.dbfawk file might be a
> good one to add to the standard distribution as well.  It's a good
> start for people, then they can fine-tune it for how they want their
> maps to look.

I have no objection whatsoever.  I have just updated tgr2shp to be less
brutal in its pruning of hydrography features, so if you do that please pull
down a new one.

> Some people wanted the maps to look identical to the Tigermap server
> maps.  I was initially against that, but I can see advantages in
> having them look the same now, so perhaps we should strive to tune
> that tgr2shp.dbfawk file along those lines?

Well, Kris Van Hees is looking into what one has to do to extract polygon
features from the TIGER/Line files --- as converted with ogr2ogr, the polygon
features are not actually there in the shapefiles, you have to play with a
second dbf file to get that info (it links CompleteChain features to polygon
boundaries).  So the area features that show up in the Tigermap server images
can't be reproduced yet.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "It is inhumane in my opinion to force people who have a genuine
  medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently
  view it as some kind of recreational activity."  -- Dave Barry