[Xastir] Festival Problem

Kris Van Hees aedil at alchar.org
Sat Apr 17 19:29:27 EDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 04:07:53AM +0100, Neil Morris wrote:
> I am a member of 'audio' already. If I use a different windowmanager (tried
> twm and WindowMaker) it works... so it's some sort of conflict with the kde
> soundserver, I think. Any further comments/ideas gratefully received.
>
> I've never had the problem before but have usually used RedHat/Gnome... I
> could happily go back to Gnome but have some concerns about alleged problems
> on SuSE systems.

If there is another program that has the sound card device open, it might not
be possible for festival to open it, causing the problems you run into.  Might
want to make sure that the kde soundserver is disabled.  You also might want
to use lsof | grep /dev/dsp to see if anyone actually did open the sound card
device.  Actually, better use: "lsof | grep CHR | grep 14," (, is important)
since that will give you all audio devices that are open (in case something
uses an entry point other than /dev/dsp*).

	Kris