[Xastir] Festival Problem

Neil Morris cnmorris at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 18 05:39:27 EDT 2004

On Sunday 18 April 2004 00:29, Kris Van Hees wrote:

> If there is another program that has the sound card device open, it might
> not be possible for festival to open it, causing the problems you run into.
>  Might want to make sure that the kde soundserver is disabled.  You also
> might want to use lsof | grep /dev/dsp to see if anyone actually did open
> the sound card device.  Actually, better use: "lsof | grep CHR | grep 14,"
> (, is important) since that will give you all audio devices that are open
> (in case something uses an entry point other than /dev/dsp*).
>
> 	Kris

Problem solved! It was the arts sound server in KDE, which can be disabled in
the KDE Control Centre. I don't really understand what it does - sound seems
to be fully functional in kde without it. I remember reading about this
causing a problem with QSSTV too so it may be as well to turn it off if you
want to use any soundcard radio apps..

Anyway, Xastir is now happily jabbering away :-)

Thanks for your help guys!

Neil
G0TVJ