[Xastir] Festival Problem

Bob Snyder rsnyder at toontown.erial.nj.us
Tue Apr 20 10:55:37 EDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 10:39:27AM +0100, Neil Morris wrote:

> Problem solved! It was the arts sound server in KDE, which can be disabled in
> the KDE Control Centre. I don't really understand what it does - sound seems
> to be fully functional in kde without it. I remember reading about this
> causing a problem with QSSTV too so it may be as well to turn it off if you
> want to use any soundcard radio apps..

KDE uses arts to multiplex multiple audio streams to the audio device.
If your mp3 player has the audio device open, your mail program can't
open it to play a "new message" alert.

One option to avoid disabling arts is to start non-arts-aware programs
that want to use the audio device with "artsdsp" first, which shows the
program a "fake" /dev/audio /dev/dsp setup which it can open and close
to it's heart's content, but the data send to it is instead redirected
to the arts server to mix in to the audio stream. (eg "artsdsp festival
--server")

When dealing with soundcard modems disabling arts at least temporarily
and locking use to the PSK/RTTY/SSTV/etc application is probably the
right thing to do, but for occasional messages, you probably want to
keep arts.

Bob N2KGO