[Xastir] RFD: Centering facility?

Kurt A. Freiberger kurt at badgers-hill.net
Tue Apr 20 09:01:23 EDT 2004

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:30:44 -0700 (PDT)
"Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Kurt A. Freiberger wrote:
>
> > This last weekend, I had a need to recenter the display fairly
> > often.  So I guesstimated the center, and proceeded accordingly.
> > Would it be of some value to have a button that displays the
> > center with an icon, then the user could drag it to the desired
> > location of the new center?
>
> I guess the mouse-menu centering function isn't adequate?

It does, but estimation of the center of the display isn't always accurate, on a laptop in the sun.  I ended up off quite a bit, necessitating redraws.  I guess I ought to measure my screen and put marks at the endpoints. I occasionally have to use VNC to my box at home, and the jitter/latency of mouse movement exacerbates the problem.

> > As a possible corollary:  Say one has an icons at each endpoint of
> > a path.  It would be handy to be able to specify the two icons,
> > and zoom the display so as to include the two at opposite edges of
> > the display.  Or is there a way to do that already?  I thought
> > there was a way to define a subset of the display and have that
> > subset zoomed in, but couldn't ferret out the method.
>
> Yea, you click, drag, release using the left mouse button.  It zooms
> into the area defined by the box you create.  It's not exact, as it
> depends on how your aspect ratio of your window correlates to the
> aspect ratio of the box you created.  It tries to make everything in
> the box visible in the final result.

Ack!  I swear I did that this weekend, and it didn't work.  It was a fairly old version, though.  I just uprev'ed, and that works.  Argh.

> There are also the map bookmarks, which you can use to return to the
> same map center/zoom.
I use that extensively (works great!).  What I was doing was to track the turtle van for the MS150 with respect to the finish line, and zoom in so the map details would come up.

I've really got to get my portable/mobile setup up to snuff. Local maps are a must when you're sitting in a tent on the street with thousands of bike riders walking past.

Kurt A. Freiberger     Austin, TX	kurt at badgers-hill.net
Amateur Radio Callsign WB5BBW  		AIM Handle: WB5BBW
"Some people are like Slinkys - Generally considered useless, but
 you can't help smiling when you see them falling down the stairs."