[Xastir] DRGs in Mac OS X xastir 1.3.1

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue Apr 20 13:59:49 EDT 2004

Hello all, first time on the list, and of course I have a problem:

I'm using xastir 1.3.1 on Mac os X 10.3 (Panther) and having trouble
getting DRGs to work.  Specifically, every time I try to load one, I
get the following message in the xterm where xastir was kicked off:

TIFFReadDirectory: Warning,
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps/al-DRGs/o34086d8.tif: unknown field with
tag 33918 (0x847e) encountered.
Problem in translating
Problem in translating
Problem in translating
Problem in translating

I need maps in north Alabama, which means the authority for DRGs in my
area (Tennessee River Valley) is TVA, not USGS.  Are the maps I get
from TVA different from the USGS standard DRG?

Can someone point me to DRGs that are known to work (especially on a
Mac os X port) so I can test my build of xastir, et al?

Version numbers of other software that may be relevant: libgeotiff
1.2.1, libtiff 3.6.1

I believe I have xastir configure with the support packed I need to
pull this off.  configure tells me:

xastir 1.3.1 has been configured using the
following external libraries.

Building with AX25.......... : no
Building with Festival...... : no
Building with GPSMan........ : no
Building with ShapeLib...... : yes
Building with ImageMagick... : yes
Building with libproj....... : yes
Building with GeoTiff....... : yes
Building with GDAL/OGR...... : no
Building with pcre.......... : yes
Building with dbfawk........ : no

xastir will be installed in /usr/local/bin.

The online map servers aren't terribly helpful in my case, because we
are chasing a balloon, and online maps don't work in a mobile
application. ):  It would be nice if the option existed to save the
online maps for offline use.  Maybe the tiger code could drop a little
"map.geo" file in the .xastir/tmp directory with "map.gif" os it could
be saved for later use? (:

thanks,
Jason
  kg4wsv