[Xastir] manually generated tiger map problem

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Apr 21 16:16:21 EDT 2004

I'm trying to generate some tiger maps to use when an internet
connection is not available.  I fired up the sniffer, extracted the
tiger URL that xastir generates, and wrote a little perl script to
generate the URLs and (I think) matching .geo files.  Here is a sample
URL and .geo file:

/usr/local/bin/wget --output-document=t_00.gif
"http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapper/map.gif?
&on=GRID&on=counties&on=CITIES&on=places&on=majroads&on=railroad&off=sta
tes&on=interstate&on=ushwy&on=statehwy&on=water&on=shorelin&on=miscell&l
at=34.05&lon=-86.95&wid=0.1&ht=0.1&iwd=1000&iht=1000"

FILENAME t_00.gif
TIEPOINT 0 0 -87.0 34.1
TIEPOINT 999 999 -86.9 34.0
IMAGESIZE 1000 1000

My problem is that the vertical edges of the maps are off by quite a
bit.  For the maps that are 0.1 degree square, points that should be on
the left and right edges are 0.01 (10%) toward the center of the map.
I have tried square maps from 7.5 minutes to 1 degree square with the
same results.

The horizontal edges match perfectly.

Is there some mapping magic I don't understand here, or is my .geo file
wrong, or what?

The tiger maps that xastir generates are, of course, pretty much
perfect.  The reason I'm not using snapshots as someone suggested
yesterday is that I need hundreds of them to get the detail I want, and
copying that many snapshot files is too much effort.

thanks,
Jason
kg4wsv
Jason Winningham